View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 11:07 PM   #1
mrnoodle
bent

Why doctors drive nicer cars than you.

I'm just about fed up with being sodomized by the medical/insurance industries. I'm becoming convinced that certain doctors and insurance companies are running the most successful scam in history, and there's not a damn thing we can do about it.

I got a bill in the mail today for $170. No biggie, I guess, until you get the whole picture. About a year and a half ago, I started experiencing pretty severe pain and swelling in some of my joints. I figured it was some kind of tendonitis thing related to guitar, but the possibility of rheumatoid arthritis was in the back of my head.

To cut out a lot of boring stuff...that's what it was. RA was confirmed through a series of blood tests and xrays, etc. My doctor referred me to a rheumatologist to get me started on some meds so I could slow the progression of the disease (no cure, but manageable).

I went to the office, told the man I had RA. He felt for lumps or something in my hands, feet, etc. and said, "Here's a prescription for some anti-inflammatory drugs." I left after paying the $25 co-pay for my insurance. Then the bill came about a month later.

$235 total, for a first-time patient setup and "medical decision-making of moderate complexity." My insurance, to whom I pay $150/month in premiums, covered $40. That left me with the remaining bill to pay.

Moderate complexity my ass. He didn't do ANYTHING.

I only have enough molotov cocktails for one office. Should I take out the rheumatologist or Blue Cross/Blue Shield? I'm thinking I better just stock up on Vaseline.

Grr.