View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Beest
Adapt and Survive

It's dead Jim, PC help required, others may also opine.

So,
Dell Inspiron desktop PC, a couple of years old, will check.

Major symptom no activity, press the power button nothing happens, no lights, no sounds, no fans, nada.

On the back just below the power cord is a green LED that lights with cord plugged in and goes out after about 10 seconds when the cord is pulled.

I have opened the case, when the power is plugged in a single small orange LED lights on the board, it is constant, no flashing etc, also goes off after about 10 seconds when cord is pulled.

Secondary sypmtons: on a couple of occasions in the previous weeks it would be slow to wake from hibernate or low power mode. Blue power light and the drive activity light would be flashing but nothing on the display. Holding the power button to power off, then turning it back on, it would take a couple of minutes to wake up, but be fine after that, I blamed this on one of the kids having lot's of youtube and flash games left running when it powered down.

I was hoping it was the power supply, but I guess the orange light on the main board means there is power to there.

I tested that the power button the front was working, seems good.

I see the coin cell on the main board, might this be bad, should I pull it and test it or replace, would it's failure produce this kind of problem. I've had two major pieces of equipment go down at work because the battery of the main board went.

What else to do, things to test or look for. Could it still be the power supply, I understand this would be easy to replace.

I'm asking here first, to give everyone a chance to ruminate, then I'll go and search the internet and dell for help

Thanks

EDIT: purchase date 3/19/2009, just outside 3 years

I tried removing and reseating the memory and hard drive as per Dells guide, no change.

I tried unplugging the psu cable at the motherboard and jumping the green and black wires with a safety clip as suggested in a couple of places. The psu fan came on and it sounded like the hard drive span up too. Seeing several identical problems, one with a similar build date, with no resolutions, sigh, looks like the motherboard

Last edited by Beest; 03-31-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: more info
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote