View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #853
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Sorry to hear about the setbacks Clod.
My thoughts are with you and the Fobs very much.

It's odd, rewatching G after all this time.
I know when you filmed this it was because of his extraordinary progress, but the Autism markers stand out so clearly to me now.

I've worked with Tiger for a whole year (wow!) and still new people to school do not understand why he gets help and other more obvious (more worthy?) children do not. He loves order, and aside from calling out and needing immediate attention if he has something to impart, he is considered polite, well mannered and no trouble.

Mars on the other hand (my 7 year old) is large for his age, less responsive to interaction, more insistent and has a history of physical aggression. People give me a slightly pained grin when they realise I work with him too. I am about to start a highly structured programme of lessons with him. During time he was previously allowed to run around and blow off steam (!!!) I knew it was coming and have prepared for the change by having Friendship Time, where we play games that involve turn taking or the potential for pushing and shoving (praise if it doesn't happen, discussion if it does). I have chosen the children and decided the games, to get him used to the fact I am in control. I've made them fun, but imposed definite rules to ease him into it.

In fact I structured one the other week involving two Piggy games (Piggy in the Middle and Squeak Piggy Squeak) in honour of Mars's obsession with Angry Birds. He was allowed to choose two children himself for this knockabout fun. He walks out with the only two Muslim boys in the class

Of course it didn't matter - we're a C of E school - tolerant but determinedly Christian. The boys would not be at our school if their parents had an issue with Western values. Just gave me a wry smile.

I'm freewheeling with Tiger at the moment, so the planned structure with Mars will be a change in gear for me too. Think of me on Wednesday.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote