ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Fuck. Check engine light is on. Got the codes read at AutoZone, they say:

P0421 - Warm up catalyst system (RH) efficiency below threshold
P0431 - Warm up catalyst system (LH) efficiency below threshold
P0174 - Lean Air/Fuel ratio bank 2

I know it will not pass inspection with this issue. But I just passed in November, so I'm safe there for 11 more months. My question is, is this a dangerous thing to be driving around with, or can it hang out for a few months with no real problems other than continuing to degrade a catalytic converter that is probably going to need replacement either way? I have to drive this thing for about 10 hours of holiday travel in just a couple weeks, and fixing it right now is going to be very painful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Yeah, assuming that it really truly is a failing emissions level triggering the light, and not a poor gas mixture like Lamplighter suggested. If it's a gas mixture problem, turning off the light may allow it to stay off, or it may come back on again and then I'll know for sure.
Just pulling stuff out of my ear here but ...
The fact that both LH and RH (left hand and right hand?) catalysts are showing errors at the same time suggests either:
a. These catalysts are shitty and have a poor lifespan built in or
b. The catalysts are fine and the problem is caused by some factor shared between them, most likely the gas you are using.

B. Let it be b.

ETA: or c. the catalysts were fine but have been irreversibly cocked up by using shitty gas. Hope not.