Thread: WTF News
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #133
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Cities have a metropolitan fire service, funded by the state government, with fully professional firefighters. All fires are dealt with for free. A system false alarm - your shopping centre computer keeps calling the fire brigade when there isn't a fire - cost (last I heard) $600.

Rural areas have a volunteer fire service funded by the state government with volunteer firefighters who train two to four evenings a week. They do a bit of fundraising, but again all fires are dealt with for free. I think they also charge for system false alarms.

A malicious false alarm is a criminal offence.

The country firies are supposed to deal with local structure fires, car crashes and bushfires. For the latter, having a large number of firies to call on in emergencies is crucial.
The metro firies deal with city stuctures, high-rises, industrial fires, and help with bush fires, although (at least in South Australia) their help with bush fires is limited - their insurance does not cover their firetrucks unless all wheels of the truck are on a sealed road. Otherwise, the truck officer is personally liable for the truck. [/brother of a firefighter in both services]

General rule is that if it is burning and it shouldn't be, we put it the #$%& out ASAP.