View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 08:18 PM   #23
CharlieG
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
I thought the plan for the Mets was to build a park similar to Ebbets Field next door to Shea...is that not happening?
They are having a lot of problems doing that. The problem is that to make it pay, plus to have parking, they really need to grab a bunch of the neighborhood that is right beyond right field - It's about 50% junkyards, but there are a few other semi major businesses - an Iron Works, a provisions house, a few major construction companies, the city's major supplier of sawdust (gee, think I know the neighborhood? I used to work down there). The business owners have their politcal act together, and know all the tricks to stop the new stadium - environmental law, the fact that they employ a large minority contingent, etc. They have been delaying a new stadium now for about 25 years! (The first thing that was supposed to be built was a dual use dome - for the Mets and the USFL Generals (gives you an idea of the time frame)

Let's put it this way - don't hold your breath - the next stadium that'll get built is the Nets in Brooklyn, then the New Yankee/Jets stadium over the West Side Subway yards - both are "Hot" ideas. Bringing a pro sport back to Brooklyn, and bringing the Jets back to NYC from the Meadowlands, plus keep the Yankees, who are the political darlings here in NY, and George know how to play city hall. The Mets have never figured that out. They have been, and will always be "the second team" - aka, they are not the fabled Yankees. Takes a certain resignation to be a Mets fan, and get your face rubbed in it by the Yankees all the time. My response is to let me know when the AL starts playing baseball
CharlieG is offline   Reply With Quote