Thread: British Telly
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

It's been going for a little while now that show. I've never really got into it. Despite having Freema Agyeman and Apollo from BSG :P

I suspect it was an attractive franchise to plug into because of its flexibility. And because sometimes it's interesting to look at the same basic story but transplanted to a different culture. That and the Law and Order name tag is a guaranteed audience who'll give it a try.

Sundae: if you haven't already, and you get a chance, check The Fades out.

Ep 1 is brilliant (I thought), showing a lovely friendship between the two 17 year old lads at the centre of it and setting the pieces in place. A few definate make ya jump moments.

Ep 2 is good, and I enjoyed it, but began to wonder if the mythos they were building was going to work, and if the series would have enough legs to make it through. But was still into it enough to go for ep 3.

Ep3 is the game changer. Things start to build, the mythos starts to gain some darker substance, and the ending had me on the edge of my seat in disbelief.

Ep4, 5 and 6: really solid, dark and funny, some genuinely chilling moments, and also moments of lyricism.

I just i wish there were more than 6 episodes!

I am so impressed with t-leaf. That boy can really act. He can turn on a dime between humour and pathos. He, and the lad who plays Paul (the central character) are absolutely brilliant young actors.

And it's really well-written, I think. Some scenes of family life and friends interacting, that are just so brilliantly observed. The relationship between Paul and his mum for instance, is really well-written and acted.

And I have barely touched on the details of the mythos. Which starts out interesting, then threatens to become a little trite then takes an unexpected left turn into intriguing and disturbing again :P

Some elements of it remind me of Being Human. Other elements more of Misfits. And something else too. Something retro, I think. Not sure.

So hope theymake another series. They sure left the door open.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote