Thread: PETA
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2004, 10:32 PM   #65
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Quote:
Originally posted by FelinesAreFine
Brigliadore, you believe everything that Hollywood makes? There's an old saying: "Although God cannot rewrite history, Hollywood can."
I don't believe everything Hollywood makes, my mom is a screen writer and I grew up in that business, so I have a pretty healthy grasp on it. But it is a fact that those lions killed and they are stuffed and on display in the Chicago Field Museum. Here is the info on the display taken from the Field Museum's website.

Quote:
In March 1898 the British started building a railway bridge over the Tsavo (SAH-vo) River in East Africa. Over the next nine months, two large male lions killed and ate nearly 140 railway workers. Crews tried to scare off the lions and built campfires and thorn fences for protection, but to no avail. Hundreds of workers fled Tsavo, halting construction on the bridge.

Before work could resume, chief engineer Lt. Col. John Henry Patterson (1865-1947) had to eliminate the lions and their threat. After many near misses, he finally shot the first lion on December 9, 1898, and three weeks later brought down the second. The first lion killed measured nine feet, eight inches (3 m) from nose to tip of tail. It took eight men to carry the carcass back to camp. The construction crew returned and completed the bridge in February 1899.

(The 1996 movie "The Ghost and the Darkness" was based on Patterson's adventures in Tsavo.)
A photo of one of the lions after being killed.