View Single Post
Old 01-22-2004, 09:39 AM   #238
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I probably posted this already sometime in history but hey. I was at the game that started the stadium court - the San Francisco Monday night game, which included at least 3 game interruptions by fans on the field, about 30 fights, and a flare gun shot by a fan, across the stadium to land in the 200 level seats.

I sat in a 200-level restricted view seat. Behind us was a mom with a 10-year-old. I think she lasted through to the half. What a trooper. In front of us were Marines, special invite tickets from the team; in full dress; they looked kinda nervous.

In the section to the right of us, trouble broke out with a minor scuffle. It didn't last long, but yellow-coated STAFFers surrounded the section to watch for everything to break out. Their presence basically ensured that it would; they were provoking it to happen so that they could enjoy being part of a scuffle.

You could say that the root cause was that Philly crowd having hours to get royally blitzed, but I know the real root cause: Rodney Peete. The Eagles stunk up the joint and could not move the ball 2 yards. The fans were furious. In the fourth quarter, they put in 3rd stringer Bobby Hoying, and the kid put together a drive and actually scored. There were no fights during the fourth quarter because the fans were suddenly entertained.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote