View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 03:53 AM   #47
paranoid
May Ter Dee

Quote:
Originally posted by LUVBUGZ
Now, what I find to be the most offensive thing in this whole thread is the comment made by Paranoid that "... I also think that terrorism is a form of free speech and should be respected, even if not protected."

Terrorism is terrorism and should be neither respected, nor protected; but rather punished and denied.
Well, there are several reasons to respect terrorists. First is the fact that they can stand for what they believe in, sometimes with grave danger for their own lives. In my country we respect certain terrorists, such as Alexandr Ulianov and others for their attempts to kill the Emperor and his minions. While I certainly disagree with Palestinian suicide bombers and plainly hate them for what they do, I still have certain respect for their ability to act in such a way (even though for many of them it's not a rational choice, as they are programmed and brainwashed, some, like this woman, make their own decision).

The second reason to respect terrorism is that an act of killing is also a message, just like a pool of blood with a white ship and a portrait is a message. By ignoring the message you are being, using the terminology of this thread, a fucking idiot. The correct course of action should be to realise that the issue that caused people to commit the act is of utmost importance to them and you should consider their position and start a dialog with them to reach a solution.

You suggest denying terrorism. Well, regardless of which way I look at your suggestion, it doesn't seem like the wise course of actions. You can't deny reality.
paranoid is offline   Reply With Quote