View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 12:14 AM   #57
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Genocides happen in places where there is gun control, and doesn't where there is not. Consult history. The case is very strong: if you want actually to be antigenocide, you be pro-gun, and rigorously, and all the time.

Essentially, to make genocide something practicable, you need a defenseless population to practice it upon. The most efficient way ever found to make a defenseless population is to delegitimize armed self defense and outlaw private weaponry.

The most effective physical defense against any genocide imaginable is the reverse of this: a selective-fire individual weapon over every mantle and two hundred rounds ready ammunition. Whereupon we'd all be Switzerland. Which is notably free of that genocide thing.

On a less grandiose level, you might consult the most recent edition of J. Lott, More Guns, Less Crime. A few crime-loving wishful thinkers allege that Lott's work was debunked. Don't believe a word of it; his scholarship is formidable. It turned Prof. Lott into a longtime gun owner himself. Ruger revolver, I think he said.

Do take care on one point though: asking me, knowing what I do, to treat the genocidal-ideators respectfully is asking for the moon. They not only cannot be respected, they must not be respected.