View Single Post
Old 03-18-2001, 12:42 AM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerebus
Having seen all of one St. Joe's game this year -- yup, the one earlier tonight -- my deep appreciation to them for providing some wonderful entertainment against a locked and loaded Stanford club.
A great game indeed. I kept saying before the season that I would at least check one of their games out this year. Sadly, I didn't. :-(

(Incidentally, I've been playing St. Joe's on March Madness for PlayStation for some time now. Without any mods, they've won back-to-back championships. Coincidence? I think not! ;-) )

St. Joe's got a rough deal in the tournament and the polls because the A-10 was unusually weak this year, thanks to Temple's rough start and UMass. The A-10, although not a Big 10 or Big 12, is definitely one of the better conferences. No TAAC or Patriot League here.

Quote:
All of which should not be construed to think that anyone should give a damn about college basketball for anything but the tournament, if simply for the reprehensible economics of it all. It's a guilty pleasure, and not even a good one: after all, Duke wins far too often, and while upsets rule early, you rarely if ever see the Gonzagas of the world get past the Sweet 16. But when the game is good, you can forget everything else, and that's true no matter what the sport, or the participants.
I had to watch my beloved Mizzou fall to Duke today. That hurt. :-(

The game to truly watch coming up is the battle of the Beltway--Maryland vs. G'Town. A good DC-rivalry game. And the second one in a week for the Terps, as they barely beat GMU earlier this week.

Each year brings us a team that you warm up to. This year, so far, we had Georgia State and Hampton. I particularly liked last year's tourney, particularly because a lot of the games were close. (And SEMO almost beat LSU--damnit!)

March Madness has always been one of my favorite sports times of the year. And now, I only have to wait for the NHL Playoffs...

elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote