View Single Post
Old 01-15-2004, 07:26 PM   #42
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

Sorry I am a late comer to this thread. What I find interesting is that those sites have taken a medical condition and twisted the meaning of the word around. Colic as listed in the Webster dictionary: a paroxysm of acute abdominal pain localized in a hollow organ and often caused by spasm, obstruction, or twisting
Now I was raised on a farm, around horses and other livestock and colic was a very real problem with horses. It was not a word we used when the horse neighed a bit too much. Its a very real and dangerous condition where an animal might very well die. So my question is when did this word come to mean something else in parenting. If my doctor told me my baby had colic and he meant she cried allot you better be sure I am gonna hit the roof and give him a nice talking to about using words properly. Besides some babies cry more then others, it doesn't always mean something medical is wrong. I say raise your kids how you want to raise them, and don't let some parent whose only credential is that they actually had a kid tell you how to raise them.