View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #24
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
And why must it be assumed that these people's credit cards are "all maxed out"? The people you are talking about do not have credit cards, because they can't afford the minimum monthly payments.
First, one has a credit card, does not use it, and therefore has no monthly payments. Or one only uses a credit card for amounts that can pay off that month. Either way, the credit card is that emergency $2000.

The argument is valid, but subjective. Do you describe most of the 50%? Or well less than 1%? A problem with all these assumptions is one glaring problem. No hard numbers.

I don't believe most of the 'on the edge' cannot have any credit cards. A credit card that you have and do not use can cost nothing. I would suspect a significant number of that 'on edge' 50% has foolishly used credit cards. It would explain why they enrich the richest with their 20+% interest charges on outstanding balances. And therefore cannot afford any savings.

But again, that is only suspicion based in a lack of any hard numbers. We really do not know why that 50% is close to which edge. And, unfortunately, the article does not even define 'edge'. Does not even define how many Americans have credit cards.
The article implies an American public that is living on large cash flows and few real assets. It is how AIG, GM, Lehman Bros and so many other financially irresponsible companies also lived. It only implies this is worse than ever before. But provides no numbers to make that conclusion. It only suggests a serious problem that has been deteriorating.

Meanwhile, saving numbers in the chart strongly suggest American financial stability has seriously deteriorated.

Do you believe more than 50% of this nation cannot have any credit card? I suspect that is not true. Anybody can afford a credit card by not using it. Then an emergency $2000 fund exists.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote