View Single Post
Old 01-10-2004, 08:05 PM   #203
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I have just witnessed one of the most bizarre football games ever...

The Rams offense was good...except in the red zone. Couldn't score touchdowns. The Rams then took a page from the Baltimore Ravens playbook of old and were leading on field goals.

Carolina was running all over the place. Stephen Davis gets hurt. No problem...they use DeShaun Foster and Nick Goings. The Panthers make incredibly stupid mistakes...at one point, it's 1st and 35 for them. But the Rams can't get the ball into the end zone...and Bulger throws 2 interceptions. After a few lead changes on field goals, the Panthers score a TD. With just over 4 minutes left in the game, the Panthers are up by 11.

Suddenly, Marshall Faulk wills the Rams back to life. Finally, they score a touchdown. 23-20, Panthers, with 2 1/2 minutes left.

Jeff Wilkins makes an onside kick...and recovers it himself. The Rams get down to the Panthers 15 yard line with 23 seconds and one time out left. But Martz lets the clock run down to 3 seconds before calling a time out. Wilkins's kick is good. 23-23...we're going into overtime.

Panthers move the ball down to the Rams 21 yard line. They get pushed back a yard, and send John Kasay out to attempt a 40-yard field goal.

Delay of game on the Panthers. 5 yard penalty. After a couple of attempts to get more yardage, Kasay goes back on the field to attempt a 45-yard field goal.

Wide right.

Rams get the ball back and march down to the Panthers 35 yard line. Jeff Wilkins comes out to attempt a 53-yard field goal.

Just short.

Panthers get the ball back, but wind up punting in the end. Rams get the ball back and move it down to the Panthers 35 yard line. Bulger attempts to pass to Big Game Torry Holt...

Interception. After a couple of attempts by the Panthers to move the ball, the 1st overtime quarter is over.

The first play of the second overtime quarter: a 69-yard pass by Jake Delhomme to Steve Smith. Panthers 29, Rams 23.

My hopes for 2004:

--Mike Martz is fired...he's crazy.
--Marc Bulger is traded.
--Kurt Warner is given one more shot to return to his former glory.
--Lovie Smith stays in St. Louis and is named head coach.

At least now, I can root for the Eagles again...
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote