View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 06:59 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I recognize that syndrome, because I had it when trying to buy a house.

Every house comes with a dollar amount assigned to it; and certainly if you find a house worth $200,000 to you, but priced at $50,000, you should buy it immediately, I thought.

As soon as I got into the process, I found myself swimming with too much information. OK, that house is $120,000, but it has a crack down the wall that might be serious foundation problems. OK, that house is $160,000, but it's at the bottom of a hill and could take on water. That one has a cool basement. That one has really old appliances. That one has leaves in the gutter. That one backs up to woods.

The lesson learned: there is no equation. You can only gut it out. There is too much you don't know. Sometimes, you don't even know your desires, and the house in the suburbs you planned with one life in mind becomes a ball and chain in your mind after ten years.

Did I say sometimes you don't know your desires? MOST times you don't know your desires. Most times you think you know yourself, but if you truly test yourself, you find surprises.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote