View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #24
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

From and Australian perspective - and I'm sure the other aussies will correct me if I've got it wrong - the reason this thing has gone viral is because bullying is a big issue at schools, and it seems to me that the PC way of dealing with the situation is simply ineffective. If a bully knows that the worst thing to happen is suspension or expulsion, then often they don't care. And even more wrongly, the victim is often told to just ignore it. Yes a lot of bullying issues can be traced back to previous trauma of some kind but not all, and even if they are, it doesn't give one kid the right to villify another just because they feel like it.

eta: I don't know if I'd call it 'crowing' over the kid getting what's been coming to him, but certainly people have a right to express how they feel about it. Personally, I feel sorry his leg is broken, but I don't feel sorry that he was taken down a peg. We all have to learn that there's always going to be someone stronger or faster or smarter or whatever in life. Some just need the lesson in black and white.

Last edited by Aliantha; 03-17-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Aliantha is offline   Reply With Quote