View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #14
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

I looked at the second picture. Five buildings. Only the defective one collapsed. Let's not forget what makes disasters worse in some places. Humans.

Hurricane Andrew went through FL. A picture showed blocks of houses flattened. But I viewed houses around the perimeter. None damaged. A photographer enthralled by his emotions will take pictures only of damaged buildings. A true photojournalist will show the bigger picture.

Then viewed close up pictures of damaged homes. Missing were the required blocks and nailing in every corner. Where every wall met another. And the overlapping plates. Houses were built defectively. From doing work in some venues, I discovered this problem is carpenters who never learned those blocks are essential - and why.

Five buildings. Only one is damaged. Why? That was the useful picture.

In Haiti was a picture that truly defined a problem. During the quake, that picture showed dust rising from most every building as each was collapsing. What made Haiti so tragic are so many builders who built crap. Let's for one minute not forget what (who) creates so many of these problems.

A major and new hotel collapsed in Christ Church? Why? Was the purpose of building it for profit? Or to make a better product to advance mankind?

What really created victims? The expected quake? Or humans who failed to do their job?

Need we mention Memphis again?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote