Thread: fear
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2003, 05:41 PM   #46
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: fear

Quote:
Originally posted by plthijinx

i've caught myself a couple of times on cross country trips staring at the ground and wondering what it would be like to have lost a wing or something. then i'll snap back and take care of the chores at hand with the airplane. one time air traffic control had given me vectors that took me straight over an "antenna farm" here in houston of which the tallest of these towers is 2,049 feet above ground level. man i looked at the top of that tower and just about shit my pants because of how tall it was! i was cruising at 3000 feet but still, it looked as if it was right there. i can't imagine being one of those guys that has to climb to the top of those things to change the light/strobe
Those antenna farms are spooky-cool. The guys that change the lightbulbs get paid quite a bit, too. I've been partway up a cell tower before and I couldn't believe the wind just halfway up -- it felt like it was going to pull me right off the thing! I've been told that the extremely tall towers are traversed by a small elevator. Good thing, too -- can you imagine a storm rolling in real quick while you're at the top?

plthijinx, what do you fly? Commercial or private? What aircraft?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote