Thread: Getting A Life
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
Juniper
I know, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
A Master program is a very good thing, BUT...
... for a freelance writer, is it necessary right NOW

Do you know yet what area of writing you want to pursue ?
Do you need more mentoring on the technical skills of writing ?
Is a Master's what you need, or what you want, or is it a hide-out ?
No, probably not necessary. Probably a hide-out. I already had clients before I went back, and dang it, it was *hard* being a freelancer, so when I was in college it was so easy to say that I was sort of putting my business on the back burner for now . . . just till I finish my degree. And it's still hard being a freelancer, you know?

Quote:
... most of all, for a young writer it can give more "world experience"
... a possible meeting of new clients or subjects for your writing
... a breathing space while you get your "business" going
... an opportunity to build credibility/reputation as a writer

... a sense of independence
Bwahahaha..... Lamplighter, I am not a "young writer." The only thing young about me is my diploma.

Yes, I think I will try for that part time job at the bookstore. I'm applying for other jobs too. My family doesn't want me to go back full time, but I think I've just gotten to the point where I have to accept I might not be a good candidate for working at home on my own, I'm much too lazy and spoiled.

Thanks for the advice and empathy, everyone. I was walking outside in the summer, but I hate cold weather. It did help though. And no, no meds--I think if I can just get my ass in gear and make some lifestyle changes I'll be all right. The biggest part of this is knowing I'm depressed, right? Recognizing it for what it is.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote