Thread: Math Help
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2010, 05:27 AM   #19
Char*Pntr
Complex Simpleton

Cool Expensive College == Better Education?

Bookmarked. One thing I love about this board, is I never know what to expect when I get here - it seems to cover a little bit of everything! (I just spent some time relaxing reading the "Nut House" thread for some needed comic relief.

It's been a while since I've been in college (back then books were only $15 - 20 (used but in good shape).

One comment on linear algebra - In my EE program, of course we have to take a lot of math classes - 3 semesters of Calculus, Applied differential equations, etc. So one summer I thought I'd take the Linear Algebra class, because with all the other math classes, I could then get a minor in mathematics as well. It sounded like an easy class- but it was pure hell.

All of the math classes I took up to that point, I could characterize as "shake 'n bake" that is, you learn a math definition, you get a problem, stick it in, and out pops the answer... pick 'n shovel work.

Linear Algebra, on the other hand, you actually have to think - learn about vector spaces, what a "basis" is, proofs, eigenvalues, and so on. It took a lot of thinking on my part. Sadly, I have never had to use any of this at work or anywhere else.

I'll be watching the rest of the videos, mainly out of curiosity, why some students pay big big bucks to attend MIT, as opposed to a smaller and less expensive college (as I did) to learn the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Did you even run into a math problem and rack your brain how to solve it because you haven't done anything like that since you graduated mumble years ago? Or draw a complete blank because you didn't go that far?

Well Bunkie, cheer up because the professors at MIT are here to help.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathemati...ideo-lectures/