View Single Post
Old 12-15-2003, 02:23 PM   #2
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Sorry to hear that, Insoluable.

I've seen a number of people being worked on that didn't make it and, having lived in downtown Atlanta for a number of years, I saw my share of people on the street that were no longer alive for one reason or another. It is oddly surreal -- I had a tough time making the connection that the person that was there was no longer alive, or that they had, just moments before, been alive and have family, friends, etc.

I once attended a lecture from a photo journalist on 9/11 and listened to him speak about the stresses and mental issues he suffered from seeing the incident first hand. "Sleepless nights, substance addiction, family problems, thoughts of suicide", he read off his list of problems that his shrink spoke with him about, "doesn't this read like our resumes?" I looked around the room to see most of the crowd nodding -- the lecture, it turned out, was for photo journalists from the area. He indicated that being a journalist is one of the more difficult jobs, mentally, because you see so many people hurt, suffering, and dieing, but there is absolutely nothing you can do to help them. EMTs, doctors, firefighters, and police don't suffer from these issues because they are actively working to assist.

I decided, after hearing that lecture, that I would never continue with my interests and venture into the world of journalism.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote