View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 09:23 AM   #18
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Some clarifications:
No, this isn't a fantasy trip, you have to up and move with whatever cash you've saved, whatever skills you have and start a new life. The only fantastic part about it is that regardless of your age or skills any country will welcome you. In reality, most countries don't want you unless you can provide a much needed skill, or are young enough to be useful to your new country. Most countries aren't really open to 50 year old dishwashers immigrating.

And lamplighter, while I agree that listening to the news gives one a truly distorted view of what is really going on, I'm betting you are not looking for work right now and have a fairly reliable job or retirement provisions. The county I live in was recently chastised by Appalachia for being unfairly compared to it. As it happens, Appalachia's standard of living is much greater than Washington County's.

And that is one of the things Glatt point to. The tourist experience is not at all like living somewhere, particularly if you have to earn a living and negotiate their laws.