View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #17
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Oh Casi I missed that completely - SO sorry.

Warch, I honestly mean about being a tour guide.
I'd just need dates to plan ahead (approximate ones for saving really - as you know I'm on a budget and public transport here is reliable but not cheap).

But if you want suggestions just give us some more details in this thread.
I can certainly recommend for London - as can Cyclefrance (he still around?) and Limey. I probably have the most recent info, but any of us can point you to relevant websites to get the most up-to-date details.

I can give you ideas for the South East and Midlands if you let me know your hopes and expectations. No point me telling you that it's imperative you go to St Albans for the Roman ruins if you'd rather see Elstree Studios (original Star Wars filmset - demolished but a site of pilgrimage!)

You have to visit London of course.
Sez me, daughter of Londoners on both sides and having lived there myself.
Even if I can't meet you I couldn't recommend London Walks highly enough. Go for the headline walks though - which mention places/ people/ themes you recognise ie Jack the Ripper, Ghost Walks etc. I've been on the others and although they interested me they migh be too obscure for someone passing through.

Go to the famous one-off departments stores if you like shopping. Head for the food halls. Fortnum and Mason, Harrods, Selfridges. You can kill an hour there.

Take in at least one park. Find at least one bus route through the centre of London (again, am happy to advise!) Go on a bus tour if you can afford it, but for 1/10th of the price just get on a normal bus and WATCH out the window. London is crammed with sights which aren't actually important.

Go on the London Eye. Or just go across Waterloo Bridge - Wordsworth never got the chance and believe me the views are better than Westminster Bridge. The Houses of Parliament one way, St Pauls the other.

Ack - the 'rents have just come home and I have to vacate the computer! More later!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote