View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
warch
lurkin old school

Ok, this is up my alley. I teach visual art, and recognize the unique sort of knowing that happens with hands on creative studio practices. That said, creativity isnt just part of arts education (although, in schooling it is most often where its able to exist) Creative thinking should be supported, invited, encourages across and through all primary education. thinking such as metaphor making, perspective shifting, question finding or raising, and good old reasoning are practiced in creative arts, science, design practices. And those are the practices that make up 21st c life...at least a participating, functioning, agentic life...which is what I would hope for all kids.

But back to the art programs in K-12...for some kids art is the critical link that allows, invites and motivates them to find meaning in their schooling. Along with art studio practices are moments of expression and if lucky, a pivotal moment of , for lack of any other way to describe it, an aesthetic experience of possibility, value, validity, future. The payoff for both teacher and students.

There is much focus on art studio habits of mind: looking at the processes of art learning, rather than sole focus on products. Naming these maps them out but when rolling, they're fluid and spiraling rather than linear.

develop craft-- engage & persist--envision---express--- observe--reflect--stretch & explore-- connect with art worlds.

So support arts in schools=== quality teachers are more important than snazzy gear. And visiting artist and field trips are not enough to cover for the elimination of a comprehensive arts program. Visual arts and language arts have never been closer in content, processes and in real world creative literacy application. I think that's pretty cool.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote