View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #16
mansouryar
Writer of Writings

sexobon, xoxoxoBruce, footfootfoot, ZenGum, Undertoad, Griff,
Thanks a lot for your comments. I want to know what can be done to make most good effects & least bad effects out of it …
Quote:
Society isn't ready for an accomplishment of that magnitude. The ramifications far exceed those of the development of even something like the internet which governments already have difficulty regulating. It would be like using fractal patterns instead circular spherical boundaries for the holes in your plates.

I expect that nation states would commandeer such a project early in its development and that the private sector wouldn't realize any benefit until long after it became possible to do ... if ever.
It sounds sadly true …
Quote:
I suspect you're right about nation states seizing control of that technology. Of course there would be a worm hole race... guaranteed Israel would steal it first, and the Russians would claim to have done it in the '50s.
If that could be realized, the definition of "nation" needs to be reconsidered IMHO. If people can reach to each other in blink of an eye, how can one define a border, country, … ?
Quote:
I think you need to partner with the guys at google and wikipedia who are the most egalitarian of the big companies. Certainly don't want mainstream companies getting involved.

But seriously, I think a Cellar think tank considering this idea would be great. Let's leave aside the issue of government control or people not being ready and think about how life would be different if it were fait accompli.
The question is: Would be any big corporation interested/able to work on such a subject that could cause extreme military consequences to its locating country? Maybe secretly, however that requires a high courage …
Quote:
I think society could handle FTL travel just fine. The sooner we discover other livable planets, the sooner we find the aliens that are similar to us and then we can take their money.

Hopefully they will have solved a lot of the messy problems we have here.
I hope we could contact to an intelligent alien civilization by this mechanism at last; but on the earth, any country could have another country's resources: gas, oil, water, gold, money …!
Quote:
I think society would handle FTL but States are not going to be great supporters of uncontrolled use of it. Consider where we are with space travel since the go go sixties...
I'm not an anarchist, but I believe those damn governments have suppressed many innovations to become public during the past years. The present space technology is pathetic, compared to what potentially that would be able to become …
mansouryar is offline   Reply With Quote