Thread: Are you handy?
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #9
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I don't think I've ever seen shingles that bad on a house before. Was the roof leaking?
No, I don't think so. I haven't seen any evidence of leaking, but then I didn't actually go into that very low clearance section of the attic to see. It certainly is possible. At the valley, it is higher in the attic, but I still haven't checked. My denial remains intact, even if the roof in this section is not.

The shingles are (were) in terrible shape. But a lot of the decay has taken place in the last three years. If you go back and look at posts 28, 29 and 82, you can see a bit of this part of the roof. The shingles were definitely old then, but not nearly as bad as they were two weeks ago.

Also, haha to SN. Right you are, my friend.

Also, to SN, xoB and others, this site, HammerZone, better living through handy-man-lyness, was extremely instructive to me when I did the first phase of this project. I re-found the website when I followed up on IKO ice and water shield.

Also, regarding the edge strips, I think this is the best way to do it. Because if I was cutting very long strips, the length of the house, then I have a much bigger handful to manage up on the roof. Plus, think about where I'd cut them from--nine inches off the width of how many feet of a whole roll? Where would I cut the next long strip from? From the end of that cut? Or the next nine inches of width? What if the two sections were not the same length? Now I have a stair step edge on the roll. And how much will be usable after I make these long strips? How much wastage will there be?

With cuts nine inches wide off the end of the roll, I'm always going to have the rest of the roll to work with, whether I need to cut another nine inch wide strip or I need to roll out the material to cover the area of the roof. Just some thoughts.