Thread: ICK....
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2003, 01:44 PM   #10
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

Thumbs down Musicians' Influence

>>Because she's trapped in a record contract that she'd've done anything to get?

I think sexuality in our culture is continuing to change, and Britney Spears is a very large part of that. Whether or not parents want their teenagers idolozing and emulating her and her midriff, they certainly seem to be. Based on that observation, I'd say she's having quite a large influence on our culture.

Ahhh...but if she's so popular and has done so well, she should be able to name her price, so to speak. I mean, she's got a star now...she should be able to pick and choose.

Sexuality may be a part of our culture, and I don't have a problem with that. However, children should not be exposed to a hooters wannabe. It makes them think it's ok to do it as well. We talk and talk about how our kids are getting out of control, and about the rate of teen pregnancies, and unwed mothers and the like, yet we support the things that our children watch that influence this kind of behavior. Now don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming Britney Spears for teen pregnancies and unwed mothers. But I am saying that the culture she and other musicians (such as violent rap influencing a "thug" mentality in some kids) influence our kids in that direction because of the image they portray. The kids want to be LIKE them, and if being like them means showing your boobs, or carrying a gun, or bad-mouthing cops and women, the kids will do it, because they want to belong.

And you know, when my daughter moves out and supports herself, I don't care what she does. She'll be a grown woman with, hopefully, the sense to make her own decisions. Thus far she's shown an amazing capacity to ignore silly behavior in others, and do her own thing, and she has two unconventional parents...so I'm heartened.

I don't have a problem with a girl baring her tummy...that's not a big deal. It's not her midriff I have a problem with.

I realize this has kind of gotten off the subject...lol...but the influence that musicians have on our kids is a good subject, too.

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote