View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 04:07 AM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
My computer has also become slow and unreliable, .
This computer has never had a reinstall of Windows in seven years. No reason to do that.

The Windows 98 computers I still support have never had Windows reinstalled.

Slowness is (as was described earlier) more likely due to many programs that insist on loading before you can log in. For example, Adobe Acrobat loads a very large program when the OS starts. Which is why so many blame Windows (rather than Adobe) for their slow booting. Easily removed with some standard software that nobody was interested in.

Do you have hardware problems? All computer manufacturers have comprehensive hardware diagnostics to confirm all hardware without the complications of Windows. But only the more responsible manufacturers made that software available - and free.

Why is the machine crashing? The stop error numbers and associated message says so much. How to fix a problem without doing the nuke'n pave.

Meanwhile the nuke 'n pave can be done by anyone. Simply load and execute the System Restore CD-Rom. That puts the entire disk back to what it was when the system was first purchased. Nothing technical.

So did you use the On-Track (or whatever it is now called) software that came with the Western Digital drive? Don't. Disk drives need no software to install them. Windows has everything necessary to locate, format, and configure the disk drive automatically. Additional software is also provided by the Disk Manager that is in Windows. Don't know if the System Restore CD-Rom will undo that Western Digital software.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote