View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #250
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

Tonight is a recipe I've never tried before but is relatively simple, a sort of moroccan or north african lamb and bean stew.

I don't have the full recipe in front of me, but it involves 2.5 lbs chopped up leg of lamb, potatos, onions, and beans (fava in the original recipe, but I'm substituting canellini because I can't seem to find any fava beans for some reason. I think it'll work fine), along with harissa (a spicy red sauce), garlic, rosemary, anchovy, lemon juice, worchestershire sauce, and olive oil. probably a couple other things too, but that's the bulk of it. I can post the recipe if anybody really wants it.

Meat will be browned and onions softened in dutch oven on the range, then potatos added and the whole mess shoved in the oven to slow cook for 2 hours or so.

It should be pretty good, I think. It'll have a unique flavor for sure.

That was also my first time hacking up a leg of lamb like that, which was interesting. The meat texture was really markedly different from beef. I suppose I always knew that, and I know they taste different, but really handling and carving a large-ish slab of it made the point absolutely clear. Too used to seeing meat pre-cut into tiny pieces and not really handling it, I suppose, just chucking it in a pot or pan. Good learning experience, and not nearly as traumatic as it could've been. Admittedly it was also already boned by the butcher, but that was more for a lack of skill on my part than an avoidance thing.
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote