View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #14
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvidas;673145The point is whether or not the [i
conversation about racial inequality[/i] is being advanced; whether what a person, or an organization, does furthers understanding or derails discussion.
Based on what the NAACP did, no.

[quote]I think it's worth, first, considering the record of American racism, and then the record of the Tea Party and its allies. Racism tends to attract attention when it's flagrant and filled with invective. But like all bigotry, the most potent component of racism is frame-flipping--positioning the bigot as the actual victim. So the gay do not simply want to marry, they want to convert our children into sin. The Jews do not merely want to be left in peace, they actually are plotting world take-over. And the blacks are not actually victims of American power, but beneficiaries of the war against hard-working whites. This is a respectable, more sensible, bigotry, one that does not seek to name-call, preferring instead change the subject and strawman. Thus segregation wasn't necessary to keep the niggers in line, it was necessary to protect the honor of white women.[quote] So what the NAACP did was flip the message of the Tea Party activists and call them racists in an effort to stifle their message.