View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #247
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Tonight I had beans on toast.

But what I really wanted to report back about was the meal we had last week.
I admit I'm submitting this late AND there are no photos. Sorry.

Mum and Dad order wine by the case. It's not all that fancy, just a cheaper way of doing things. It's drinking wine, not storing wine. And if they leave it a couple of months, the wine club tempts them back with great offers; sometimes discounts and sometimes extras. Dad has perfected the art of playing off a couple of different companies against eachother

One of the extras was an Italian food package. And one of the Italian foods enclosed was Stinco Arrosto. We had no idea what it was. My Italian is already restricted to hello, goodbye and ordering from a menu and I'd never come across this item before. It came in a box and in a vacuum selaed pack, with instructions to boil for eight minutes, then brown for another ten in the oven (optional). From this we knew it had to be cured meat, but nothing more. The box gave a description of how delicious it was, but no real explanation of what lay within!

Turns out Stinco means shin. It was cured pork (nothing like ham) on the bone. It was so soft it literally fell off the bone as I tried to carve it. I thought of y'all - I ended up pulling it off with a fork.

It was bloody gorgeous.
We all went back for more, Maureen included and she eats so little compared to us.
If it wasn't so cor-blimey expensive (the one we had sells for £5.40 without P&P) I'd ask for it every week. Given that a raw chicken can be bought for under £3 and gives leftovers it's not a cheap option. But I'm thinking of surprising Mum with one for her birthday - yes, still thinking about that menu. After all, I can keep it under my bed!

The sweet potato souffles that went with it were a success too!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote