View Single Post
Old 11-30-2003, 03:40 PM   #69
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Two rebuttals here:
(1)
The LAWS changed, God didn't. There's a big difference. Another example (although this is probably not the best one) is the US Constitution. (Put aside for a moment the amendments, which changed the document, this example is more figurative than literal).

The Constitution is the governing document, the highest form of law in the United States. No law can contradict the Constitution.

However, laws have been passed on the local, state and in some cases, federal level that have later found to have been Unconstitutional. So they changed the laws to better fit the need of the people, while still being in line with the Constitution. The laws changed, the Consitution didn't.

(2)
Society is an ever-changing structure. The bible teaches, as preacherswife2u has stated, that we are to follow the law of the land unless it conflicts with bible teachings. Many of the Mosaic rules in Deuteronomy and the OT were questionable to the people of Jesus' time (however much later that was after Moses). Jesus came along and answered questions (see the quote I posted about divorce) and clarified things, knowing he was going to be the sacrificial lamb of God. Therefore some of the LAWS changed, like animal sacrifices. That does NOT mean by default the God changed.

Now. As far as "Good" and "Unjust" and the other words you used, those terms are pretty broad. For example, God said, "No one may touch the Ark of the Covenant, upon penalty of death." and then someone touched it to save it from the mud and horse shit in the road as it fell off the wagon. That man was struck by lightning. God smote him. Was God "unjust"? Was the man who tried to save this most holy of relics from horse shit and filth "bad"? I feel that the answer is no. God said, "Don't do it or I'll kill you." Mr. Guy, even with the best of intentions, did it anyway. And paid the penalty. That is justice.

Now, I'm hearing arguments about "Well why would God ask such a thing?", specifically regarding Abraham. Well, not being able to speak for God, only having the story to go by, I think about it like this:

You're God, and your plan is to make a great nation of people that (hopefully) worship you. You want to pick the kind of people that are going to be loyal and follow your word to the letter. Do do whatever you tell them to do, because they believe in you. They believe that you will do what is right, and help them out in the face of many trials and tribulations. You have this one guy and his family in mind to give all this power and glory, knowing that your divine son will be born of this line of people. You really wanna give this gift to this guy, but you aren't real sure he's worthy. He seems to be, but when the chips are down, would he give up everything for you? Even his son?

Abraham was told, "go do it". So without question, without hesitation, Abraham said, "Yes Lord." And he took his only son to kill him for God. And he raised his hand, and although he didn't want to, he was ready to kill his only son. But God stopped him in time. He didn't really want Isaac as a sacrifice, but wow, Abraham was really a loyal, God-loving man. And so this great gift was bestowed upon him and his descendants. Of course it was a test.

It's also an allegory for God's love through his son, but that gets preachy. So I'll leave it there.

In addition, you didn't comment on the whole rape/seduction rebuttal....
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote