View Single Post
Old 11-17-2003, 11:10 AM   #3
breakingnews
Q_Q

I think you did the right thing. They're old enough to get themselves on their own feet, and they should be doing that anyway.

Any idea what your son thinks? I'm 23 and I thought my parents were going to cut the umbilical cord during college. Fortunately (for them), I wised up and started working and supported myself junior and senior years (except for tuition, which was already paid for, thank god). Minor in monetary terms, but major in other ways, like showing independence.

THat's unbelievably obnoxious that the girl's mother asked YOU for money. Seems like there's a fair amount of irresponsibility in the world today ... no sense of parental obligations, etc.

That happened to my brother a few years ago ... he dated a woman with some mental issues (who was incredibly hot, nonetheless). But he called it off - one day she said he had to co-sign her lease or that would be it. Her mother even called multiple times and harassed him, saying all sorts of nonsense - this coming from a woman who had piles and piles of credit card debt. Later my bro told me the entire family had serious serious money problems - they couldn't manage to put a dime in a piggy bank. He eventually confessed to me that he helped her pay for a few classes and a car payment or two. Not a lot of money, but a mistake he'll never make again.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote