Thread: Earthquake
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #198
Redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post
... The problem with the US program until recently was that birth control methods were not made available to third world women who wanted them. Every woman has the right to choose her own reproductive destiny. Over population is the root of many ills in the third world. If we could help developing nations put a curb on this problem, it would be one of the most economical and effective methods of aid that we could provide.
Perhaps it belongs in the "accomplishments of Obama" thread, but I agree that rescinding the Mexico City Policy, under which NGOs could not receive federal aid funds even if they use their own funds for abortions or even abortion counseling, is a good thing.

I also dont think any amount of foreign aid to Haiti would have minimized the disaster, but IMO, and from a larger perspective, the level of US assisstance to our poorest neighbor has been paltry.

And, for the record, my ballpark estimate of $25 billion in total US economic aid was off a bit...its closer to $29 billion, including $6 billion to Afghanistan and Iraq...and still less than one penny of every tax dollar.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/10s1263.pdf (if anyone cares).

Even in the toughest times at home, we can afford more than one penny on the dollar to help those facing even greater day-to-day adversity, if the funding is channeled in a meaningful manner.

And, I would certainly question some of the recipients identified above...but not Haiti.

Or perhaps I am straying too much from the topic at hand...but I agree that we can agree to disagree.

Last edited by Redux; 01-19-2010 at 05:45 PM.