Thread: On being fat
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
J: Generally, I think of it as a food addiction. We could define addiction as, roughly, continuing a behavior despite negative consequences. I see the consequences, but I continue to eat too much.
Too much of everything, or are you a bread/carb junkie?
link
Quote:
3) WHEAT GLIADIN HAS PHARMACOLOGICAL PROPERTIES
Gliadin can be broken down into various amino acid lengths or peptides. Gliadorphin is a 7 amino acid long peptide: Tyr-Pro-Gln-Pro-Gln-Pro-Phe which forms when the gastrointestinal system is compromised. When digestive enzymes are insufficient to break gliadorphin down into 2-3 amino acid lengths and a compromised intestinal wall allows for the leakage of the entire 7 amino acid long fragment into the blood, glaidorphin can pass through to the brain through circumventricular organs and activate opioid receptors resulting in disrupted brain function.
There have been a number of gluten exorphins identified: gluten exorphin A4, A5, B4, B5 and C, and many of them have been hypothesized to play a role in autism, schizophrenia, ADHD and related neurological conditions. In the same way that the celiac iceberg illustrated the illusion that intolerance to wheat is rare, it is possible, even probable, that wheat exerts pharmacological influences on everyone. What distinguishes the schizophrenic or autistic individual from the functional wheat consumer is the degree to which they are affected.

Quote:
Merc: I started to add that to my first post, but it kinda diminished my main point, so I deleted it. But yeah; imagine if, when you drank too much, your ears turned orange. If you cheated in your relationships, you would develop a limp. If you lied, well obviously, your nose would grow.

Bipolar? Facial tic. Relentlessly an asshole? Over time, your left pinky would wither, and could fall completely off. Have a child and not support it? You get a 2" cone on the top of your head.

Eat too much? You develop a big belly.
I love these, and it seems only fair. Being an asshole should grow you a giant ass though... and I think adultery should affect the sex organs, a limp is too likely to garner sympathy.