View Single Post
Old 11-14-2003, 09:44 AM   #13
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

My dope use gradually tapered off until, when I hit my mid-30's, I wasn't ever buying any, and only having the odd toke when with more chronic friends. I found that smoking dope after I became a father with a mortgage and real world responsibility problems made me incredibly paranoid. Hard to enjoy being stoned if all you do is sit around and wonder if you are going to lose your house or have your lights turned off.

Booze, on the other hand, was my real problem. Booze made everything alright, even though it often was decidedly *not* alright. Booze made me charming (not), witty (not), desireable (not) and intellectual (notnotnotnotnotnotnotnot), and at my worst, I could easily consume a fifth of whiskey in a single three or four hour stretch. And I did that two to three days a week, with a six or twelve pack thrown in on the off-whiskey days. Results? Bad heart, bad intestines, bad marriage, bad attitude.

I've been down the drugs road, and I like myself better sober. I assure you all that you like me better sober as well. That being said, I do not judge anyone else for what they consume, I only urge people to use drugs responsibly (yes, it can be done, just not by me) and in moderation. Too much of *anything* is probably going to end up badly.