View Single Post
Old 11-12-2003, 12:48 PM   #76
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

I don't dig WalMart. It's not because of the oppressing economic presence bit, or the shady employee treatment bit, or the fact the breakroom in any given store could be easily mistaken for a cult gathering site worshiping Sam Walton. I just don't like the clientele.

I was in a discussion with some friends, lamenting my inability to find a place to get alcohol cheaper for when I hit up a friend's house for a party. One suggested I try Wal-Mart. My following statement sums up my position quite nicely, I feel:

"Matt, there's two things wrong with that. One: I have yet to see a Wal-Mart sell Killian's [Irish Red]. Two: Even were I to find such a place, I have no desire to go beer shopping while fighting off a horde of cranky rednecks and pregnant teenagers."

[NOTE: My other friend, who WORKS at a Wal-Mart started to contest the shot at the store, then promptly shut up when he realized it couldn't be done.]

Now I like a good deal as much as the next guy. But if getting it means I have to shop in a store where there exists a very high probability of hearing the intercom tell me "Irate customer in Guns requires assistance, irate customer in Guns requires assistance. Thank you.", the rewards are not enough.