Thread: Global warming?
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #337
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
Bullshit....This discussion is littered with straw men...and from my perspective, it comes more from the other side.
BUT MOM, WHAAAAA, ALL THE OTHER GUYS WERE DOING IT TOO!

Quote:
Then on to your pretty chart ...and then onto your econ 101 thesis. Straw men, both.
Maybe look up the meaning of the term?

Quote:
You evidently choose one path (correct me if i am wrong)..."keep on truckin" as is until we are absolutely certain that we have to change our production and consumption habits, just tinker around the edges, and/or just leave it to the affected industries to make that decision in the best interest of consumers and the country. I choose the other....its time to find "a better way" now both for our long term economic security and long term environmental protection.

I agree my way is harder and probably riskier in the short term...but IMO, we have to stop thinking short term. The greater long term risk is postponing any comprehensive action and just sliding by.
What you present here is a false dilemma.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The logical fallacy of false dilemma (also called false dichotomy, the either-or fallacy) involves a situation in which only two alternatives are considered, when in fact there are other options. Closely related are failing to consider a range of options and the tendency to think in extremes, called black-and-white thinking.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote