View Single Post
Old 10-30-2003, 11:07 AM   #28
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
If Iraqis so hated Saddam, then where were the millions celebrating liberation in the streets? If Iraqis so hated Saddam, then Saddam could not hide in Iraq.
They don't celebrate in the streets because they fear he could return to power and torture them and their families, and basically take everything from them.

They don't yet trust that Americans have their best interests in mind, or that this democracy thing will take hold. Of course, these are valid concerns, especially since we stopped short last time. I pray we don't make that same mistake twice, and it seems GWB has no intention of doing so. I'm very thankful for that.

Quote:
Bottom line is that Iraqis more want what they once had under Saddam. Security, jobs, and basic services are more important to Iraqis than freedom of speech and no Saddam in their text books.
You sure seem to know a lot about what Iraqis want. Where exactly do you get this information?

Quote:
Tobiasly - keep your eyes open. If correct, you may be deployed quite close to the famous and historic city of Babylon. Once the capital of the Mesopotamian Empire.
I will be a little east of Karbala, but I don't know how that corresponds to exactly where Babylon was. I am hoping to see some interesting sights and take some pictures if I get the chance.

There was a rather large ziggurat pretty close to us when I was at Tallil Airfield (near Nasiriyah); unfortunately they closed the road to it shortly after I arrived.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote