View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Flint
Snowflake

I love music and I will find something in it to like, even if it does not fit within my general taste (which is vast to begin with). Things to appreciate about music that is not immediately appealing to me: analysis of a technical concept or unfamiliar use of instrumentation, exposure to a culture/demographic/lifestyle which I am unfamiliar with, or quite often--an analysis of what the artist intended is what I find most fascinating. If I do not immediately appreciate a piece of music, I assume that the fault lies within myself. That is, I have to adapt my mind to be receptive to the qualities that the piece of music was intended to convey.

Music which I might classify as "bad" would be when the artist has no clear vision of what they are trying to do, or when they fail to execute the vision that it appears they intended to convey. Or, when they set out to do something stupid to begin with, and succeed. Of course, with all of the above examples, something really awesome sometimes gets created almost accidentally.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio

Last edited by Flint; 10-02-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote