View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
jinx
Come on, cat.

We're too far outside the city to count, even suburbanites, but I think I know what you mean. When we're in the city, getting ourselves some culture, we say probably a hundred times "how do people live like this?". Not as a negative personal judgment, but just srsly wondering how the hell they can stand it.

I know there's animosity coming from the other direction though - I get the Chester County Barbie email frequently enough to keep it fresh in my mind...

Quote:
The Chester County Barbies come in 10 versions. The Berwin Barbie. The West Chester Barbie. The Phoenixville Barbie. The Exton Barbie. You get the drift. Each has a description of what accessories come with the doll, and characteristics that are meant to – humorously, in the mind of the e-mail author -- link Barbie to that particular community.

The Downingtown Barbie, for example, comes with a Ford Windstar and a matching gym outfit. “She gets lost easily and has no full-time occupation of secondary education,” we learn. West Chester Barbie comes with a choice of a BMW or a Hummer H2 and has her own Starbucks card and country club membership.
Funny that the author spelled Berwyn wrong, and didn't even attempt Bryn Mawr...