View Single Post
Old 10-21-2003, 09:16 AM   #31
sophie
Person Who Has Posted

Thumbs up wild cat species' welfare!

Quote:
Originally posted by bmgb
I personally don't understand why we have to breed all sorts of new cats, when there are millions of other cats already that need homes. Because they're bigger?

Just do like I did... Get a cat from a shelter and feed her well.

bmgb: I agree with cat overpopulation being a problem.I rescued and sheltered my share of strays,and strongly believe in early spaying /neutering: I believe the problem lies in irresponsible owners,who should make sure to "fix" their kitties unless they are absolutely willing to be responsible for the welfare of every single kitten-for life. Reputable,licenced breeders place their animals under strict contracts,taking them back if they are not "fixed",or anytime during the animals ' lifetime if the owners can no longer care for them.
There's unfortunately a lot of people who are into exotic animals-spiders,snakes,lizards,etc....and large wild cats.The new breeds can be a safer alternative for these people who absolutely "must" have a wild-looking feline at home,without all the special care and facilities the wilder cousins require: I believe that breeding hybrids actually help protect the wild cats,keeping them where they belong,at home in the wild. A lot of these species are endangered,and the hybrids might soon be the only wild looking felines left!
Also,exposing the public to hybrids greatly helps in raising awareness about little-known wild species(have you ever heard of a fishing cat before?)-for example,because of the Bengal's growing popularity,the Asian leopard Cat has been moved onto the endangered list of different countries,thanks to petitions and pressure from breeders' associations...
I know that people first meeting my Bengals become quite interested in earing about wild cats,especially children!
People concerned about cat overpopulation can help by donating-time and money...check locally.For example,in my province, an association(people and businesses) raise funds to pay for Vet fees, so low-income/student cat owners who can't afford spaying/neutering can do so for free,or for very cheap...

Hum,well,though that might help...kitties are the best! >^..^<
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote