View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 04:58 PM   #15
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I do not like this article at all. This author is blinded by the social stigma of sex.

I would assume most everyone here would agree with schools taking responsibility to prevent the spread of non-sexually transmitted diseases such as the flu or mono because it only takes one ignorant parent to allow a sick child to infect the entire school. Why is it so different for sexually transmitted diseases? STDs do not just affect individual children, but the entire student population because it can easily spread from one person to another and it is extremely easy for a selfish asshole child to ruin a good innocent kid's life through the use of alcohol and smooth talking. Parental guidance is the most important influence for children but with issues such as these, it only takes one mistake.

STD's are a social issue and therefore should be addressed by the schools. Many parents do not fully inform their children of the risks of unprotected sex and that could be one of the reasons for such high STD and pregnancy rates among today's teenagers. This is not the most preferred way to address this issue in my opinion, but I also see it better then the alternatives.