View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #89
Juniper
I know, right?

Big V, you're someone I DEFINITELY would enjoy going camping with.

A friend of ours has one of those smokers. Everyone raves about the stuff he cooks in it - he always brings it when we go camping and has a blast just tending it, playing cornhole and drinking beer all day. But I think the meat is always just a little tough for my taste. Cheap cuts, I guess. We brought a pork loin for him to put in there last time and it was really good. Unfortunately we shared with everyone else and it was also the first meat to disappear. :p

It was pretty funny, though, when he opened the door to check on things and WHOOSH, singed his beard.

I enjoy cooking on a campfire, just for the fun of the challenge. But at home, I'm really lazy and love my gas grill. Just push a button, and it's good to go. I use it a lot. I wouldn't say I'm all that good at it, though. All we usually make is burgers, metts/brats, chicken, or chops.

Tonight I tried making shrimp on the grill for the first time. I don't eat shrimp (I'm allergic) but everyone else likes them, so I tried. Put 'em on skewers. Lesson one: soak skewers first. Lesson two: Brush oil on shrimp, not just teriyaki sauce. Lesson three: Don't overcook.

Well, the dogs liked 'em. It was only a small bag.

Inspired by two recent Girl Scout & Boy Scout trips, I decided to get my own dutch oven. Hubby found one tonight at Harbor Freight for $25. I hope it isn't cheap junk.

Last edited by Juniper; 06-10-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote