View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I had a Professor...

...once who was a rabid right-winger type. He taught sophomore Comparative Non-Western Cultures.

His advice to these sophomore baby-faces was to simply work for themselves - no need for a company or to lament the lack of jobs; just market yourself and work per diem.

I asked how one should pay for things like health insurance this way. He turned on me, furious, and said, "People can purchase their OWN health insurance!"

Average monthly cost of a COBRA plan is 550/month.

I hope this professor finds himself "self-employed" very soon.

Why am I bringing this up? My Uni is cutting 700 jobs this year. Now, I realize these will probably be jobs like secretarial work, maintenance, security, grounds keeping, assistants of all sorts...but I wish, oh, I wish that just once some pompous, old, professional fuddy-duddy could feel the pain.

maybe they DO feel the pain - but I haven't seen it yet. Maybe the revolution IS coming...and maybe I am putting off writing my Othello paper because I just can't make myself DO IT. What's the point? How many papers on Othello do we NEED? My real problem is a crisis of my major. I am beginning to see all this work as just hateful dross. NOTHING new can be said about anything, esp. Shaxpeer. I am soooo tempted to title my paper: Never Mind the Bullocks, Love Is a Battlefield and go from there like I'm writing for Cosmo or something.

UGH.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote