View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
My grandfather's philosophy was that every used car on the market is on the market because the previous owner thought there was something wrong with it and didn't want it any more. Why would you buy a car from someone when they don't want it any more?

I don't completely agree with his philosophy, but he has a good point. You just have to figure out what is "wrong" with the used car you are buying and if that "wrong" thing is something you can live with. But every used car has something "wrong" with it from the perspective of the previous owner.
I don't think so: a lot of people just think they have to have the newest car on the market all the time. Keep up with the JOhanssens, or something.

My younger sis-in-law and I were talking about this, she's a "new car every three years" person and though I can see her perspective I think it's a waste of money. She does make the point that she is in her car a good amount of the time so she's going to make sure she's happy...but you can do the same thing with a one or two year old car. Between the two of them they have great income, so I guess it doesn't matter to them. Plus she's in sales (and hugely successful) and always gets good deals because she knows the game.

My Honda was 2 years/30k when I bought it, paid it off in 3 years, and had another 10 of good use. My current car is an always paid off clunker, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg in depreciation.

It's the brand new cars you can't be sure of issues. Recall this, recall that...oops, we put the brakes on wrong, sorry we didn't notice before it shipped.

"but but...I look so GOOD in this car, and everyone is envious."

Last edited by Shawnee123; 05-21-2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: hahaha
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote