View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #171
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Kingswood. You managed to find a very shaky example of a single time that Shawnee's point didn't stand. I pointed out that this very example has room for confusion even if you change the spelling. Your response is to cast aspersions on my ability to spell or to correctly use the English language.
Oh you poor baby!! You didn't have any problem when several posters did the same to me: they made personal remarks directed at me, my ability to spell, my intelligence and a few other libellious remarks about me. Now I allegedly did the same to you suddenly it's a bad thing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Go away and find a less shaky example to support your claims and make our Shawnee eat a smilie.
Why don't you go away and answer several of my questions?

I can make up a few short sentences that illustrate the point quite nicely. Every one of those sentences would be gramatically complete. Every one would have a clearly obvious meaning when spoken (such that you can correctly answer a question about the sentence) but are ambiguous when written (such that you cannot answer the same question when written).

No doubt you or some other poster will say something about it being good enough. Really, it's not that hard to break English orthography in this way. If it's possible to write several complete sentences that can be understood clearly when spoken but not when written, that is proof enough that English orthography is flawed and cannot represent the spoken word with 100% accuracy.