View Single Post
Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #38
Tiki

I've never bought a new car (and never will, most likely... what a waste of money) and refuse to buy a new house... if it's less than 70 years old, I don't want to live in it!

Mostly I wear handmade skirts and altered T-shirts, so I don't buy a lot of clothes for myself at thrift stores, but I will buy summer dresses for the girls. I can rarely find anything to fit my little string-bean guy though, so I buy new for him.

If I need something and can find it at a thrift store, that's where I prefer to shop. Older small appliances are better-quality than new ones, anyway... I worked in a kitchenware store 20 years ago and the difference between then and now is absolutely astonishing. The new stuff is total crap! Just TRY finding a new toaster that toasts both sides of the bread evenly! I paid $100 for some higher-end piece of junk and it STILL doesn't toast both sides well. At least it didn't crap out after 3 months like the $20 toaster did.

My washer and dryer were new (eleven years ago) but my stove was a street-corner find - someone was remodeling their kitchen and getting rid of a perfectly good gas stove! We had just bought a house a block away, and it came without a stove - in fact, we were in the process of buying a new one and had a delivery scheduled. Canceled the delivery and saved ourselves $600!

I'd buy more kitchenware secondhand but the thrift stores near me rarely have anything good.

I don't like to buy secondhand shoes because they usually don't seem to fit quite right.