View Single Post
Old 11-20-2001, 02:58 PM   #19
Dafydd Wynne-Evans
Cakeman D

(a little OT, please forgive me)

I was once the victim of a little "identity theft". My wife lost the checkbook at a local supermarket (in the parking lot); she realized that she had lost it no more than 1/2 hour after it fell out of her pocket in the parking lot.

By the time we had notified our bank, they had already gotten two of our checks -- from two separate branches -- from people who tried to write one out for cash, and cash it at our own bank!

The checks in that book (there were 24 of them) were all distributed about as far as they could go. We eventually received each of the checks back; no two checks have the same writing, or were received from the same people as far as we can tell. One person even tried to pay her telephone bill with one of our checks!

What really pissed me off though is that two of the checks were written out to Pizza Hut, and one to Domino's (the two pizza joints here which will deliver). B/C they had been accepted, and turned away from the bank since they were bad, both Pizza Hut and Domino's refused to deliver pizzas to our home -- for over a year afterwards. Pizza Hut still refuses to accept checks from us to this day -- for a crime that we didn't commit -- in 1993.

Now, if a NID will enable me to get pizza delivered, bring it on.

Action is transitory,—a step, a blow;
The motion of a muscle, this way or that
-- William Wordsworth
Dafydd Wynne-Evans is offline   Reply With Quote